Indian Basil Tulasi Tulsi Seeds. Indian variety of Basil is considered very auspicious plan to have in the backyard or front of the house. Tulasi is cultivated for religious and medicinal purposes, and for its essential oil.
Medically, has application as insecticide and bactericide.
Rich source of iron, vitamin C, vitamin A, Vitamin K, lutein etc.
CULINARY AND OTHER VALUES:
Dried basil leaves and stems used as a spice for flavoring foods and seasoning tomato paste products. Sweet basil oil used in perfumery compounds.
- English : Basil Leaves
- Tamil : Thulasi / Tirunirrippachai
- Malayalam : Tulasi / Sivatulasi
- Telugu : Thulasi / Tulsi-Chettu
- Kannada : Tulasi / Amli / Huli
- Hindi : Tulsi / Bawari Bawari / Ban Thulasi
- Bengali : Babui Tulsi
- Gujarati : Tulsina / Sabje
- Konkani : Tuulesi
- Marathi : Tulsichi / Sabja / Tulasa
- Oriya : Tulasi / Durlabha
- Punjabi : Imli / Tulasigidda / Tulasi
- Urudu : Imli